Choosing the toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulphate can be a bit perplexing. There is so much information available but not everybody seems to be telling the truth. We do not want to damage our teeth or our gums, we simply want a product that does what it promises. Well, you are in luck because we will help you find the best toothpaste without SLS and save you time and money in the process.
Best Toothpaste Without Sodium Lauryl Sulphate Reviews
1. Hello Naturally Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste
- Contains four 4.7 ounce tubes of hello naturally whitening fluoride toothpaste
- Thoughtfully formulated with a calcium mineral blend that naturally whitens teeth. Its farm grown, super-peppy peppermint and tea tree oil tame bad breath, and coconut oil moisturizes for extra friendliness
- This toothpaste whitens naturally and gently prevents cavities, strengthens enamel, and provides mind-blowing freshness
- Hello naturally whitening fluoride toothpaste is peroxide free, dye free, SLS free, paraben free, triclosan free, preservative free, and gluten free. hello toothpastes also contain no artificial sweeteners and no artificial flavors. No brainer
- Choose friendly. hello is vegan, never tested on animals (Leaping Bunny Certified) and made in the USA. Brush and greet freely
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||6.25 x 2.13 x 7.13 inches|
|Material Type Free||Dye Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Triclosan Free, Artificial Flavors Free, Paraben Free|
Say hello to naturally friendly whitening fluoride toothpaste that tastes awesome and works brilliantly. This paste is thoughtfully formulated with a calcium mineral blend that gently and naturally whitens teeth. Its farm grown, super-peppy peppermint and tea tree oil tames bad breath, and coconut oil moisturizes for extra friendliness.
It also prevents cavities, strengthens enamel, and provides mind-blowing freshness. But buckle-up, there’s more goodness: this toothpaste is peroxide free, dye free, SLS free, paraben free, triclosan free, preservative free and gluten free. Hello toothpastes also contain no artificial sweeteners and no artificial flavors. As if that weren’t enough magic for one tube, hello is vegan, cruelty free, never tested on animals (Leaping Bunny Certified and PETA recognized), and made in the USA. We’re serious about being friendly, and about what goes into our paste.
farm-to-tube minty goodness.
the delicious mint found in our toothpaste is grown by fourth generation farmers (big shout-out to Gabrielle and Dina—you rock!) in the Willamette Valley of Oregon for superior flavor and a heightened sensory experience. better brushing that’s truly mint to be.
fluoride free, judgemint free.
here at hello, we believe in a brusher’s right to choose. that’s why we created some toothpastes with fluoride, and others without fluoride. we’ve got you covered whichever way you decide to go. our pastes are as thoughtful and hard working as you are.
say hello to tubes that are beautiful, soft-to-touch, and crinkle-free. that’s not just all, hello toothpaste boxes are made with recyclable paperboard and printed with soy inks. finally, a toothpaste package is almost as good-looking as you.
2. PRONAMEL Sensodyne MultiAction SLS Free Toothpaste
- Three 4 oz tubes of Cleansing Mint Sensodyne Pronamel Multi-Action SLS Free Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth, to Reharden and Strengthen Enamel – Packaging May Vary
- Acid erosion toothpaste with no SLS that protects your teeth from the effects of exposure to acidic foods and everyday acids without causing further sensitivity
- Sensitive enamel toothpaste that protects your teeth from pain triggers like temperature changes, acids, sweets or contact
- Strong enamel toothpaste that offers effective protection against cavities and improves your overall teeth health
- Non SLS toothpaste that polishes away stains for whiter, brighter teeth
|Item Weight||0.75 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.45 x 6.56 x 5.16 inches|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium fluoride|
Sensodyne Pronamel Multi-Action SLS Free Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth is an anticavity toothpaste that restores the natural whiteness of your teeth as it protects you from acid erosion caused by foods and drinks. This teeth whitening sensitive toothpaste with no SLS releases fluoride to provide cavity protection as it strengthens and rehardens tooth enamel that has been softened by exposure to acidic foods and everyday acids.
Sensodyne Pronamel delivers a special formula that remineralizes your teeth, boosting the delivery of calcium to strengthen enamel and stop further damage, all while keeping this toothpaste SLS free. Although many toothpastes contain sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), this common ingredient can irritate sensitive teeth and gums.
For this reason, this SLS free toothpaste is designed to keep your teeth clean and healthy without causing further sensitivity. Protecting your teeth from pain triggers, Sensodyne Pronamel sensitivity toothpaste provides lasting relief, brightening your teeth and leaving you with fresh breath, in a convenient SLS free toothpaste 3 pack.
Brush with this sensitive enamel toothpaste for two minutes, twice daily. Build a stronger foundation with Pronamel, so your teeth can look and feel their best.
Key Features and Benefits
In addition to providing all of the benefits of regular toothpaste, Sensodyne Pronamel:
- Helps protect tooth enamel from further damage caused by acidic foods and drinks
- Contains a unique optimized formulation that helps minerals, like calcium found in saliva, penetrate the enamel surface
- Helps strengthen teeth, fight cavities, and freshen breath
- Features low abrasivity to help limit tooth enamel erosion
3. Tom’s of Maine Natural Fluoride-Free SLS-Free Botanically Bright Toothpaste
- WHAT YOU’LL GET: Three 4.7-ounce tubes of Tom’s of Maine Botanically Bright Toothpaste in Peppermint Flavor
- WHITER, BRIGHTER SMILE: Whitening toothpaste gently cleans and brightens by removing surface stains
- SLS-FREE TOOTHPASTE: This natural toothpaste is SLS-free and fluoride-free for a confident smile
- RECYCLABLE TUBE: Look for the blue recycling flag, squeeze out as much toothpaste as you can, replace the cap, and recycle
- TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF NATURALLY: Contains no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives and is not tested on animals
|Item Weight||0.37 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||2.16 x 2.9 x 7.25 inches|
|Brand||Tom’s of Maine|
|Material Type Free||Dye Free, Microbeads Free, Triethanolamine (TEA) Free, Sodium Laureth Sulfate Free, Polyethylene Glycol Free, Animal Fat Free, Paraben Free, Formaldehyde Free, Propylparaben Free, Formaldehyde Donor Free, Artificial Sweeteners Free, Butylparaben Free, Mineral Oil Free, Triclosan Free, Phthalate Free, Gluten Free, Artificial Color Free, Diethanolamine Free, Artificial Flavors FreeDye Free, Microbeads Free, Triethanolamine (TEA) Free, Sodium Laureth Sulfate Free, Polyethylene Glycol Free, Animal Fat Free, Paraben Free, Formaldehyde Free, Propylparaben Free, Formaldehyde Donor Free.|
1 Natural Toothpaste Brand, (Nielsen Jan. 2021) Brighten your smile with the foamy, clean feeling of Tom’s of Maine Fluoride-Free SLS-Free Botanically Bright Toothpaste. Finally, a SLS-free toothpaste that you love to use. Bee propolis tincture leaves your mouth feeling clean and healthy, while this fluoride-free formula helps remove surface stains for a whiter smile.
Plus, enjoy the natural taste of Peppermint every time you brush. And when you’re done using your toothpaste, you can recycle the tube! Check to be sure that your tube has the blue recycling flag on it, squeeze out as much of the toothpaste from the tube as you can, replace the cap, and place the tube in your recycling bin. Order Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste, and discover our range of oral personal care products. At Tom’s of Maine, we want to empower families to live more naturally.
With more than 50 years of experience combining scientific know-how, naturally derived ingredients, and a bit of ingenuity, we make products that are good for you and the planet. As a Certified B Corp, we hold ourselves to the highest social and environmental standards. Plus, we’re committed to supporting local communities for meaningful change, donating 10% of our profits to charities supporting health, education, and the environment. We call this “doing good, for real,” and it impacts everything we do.
4. Hello Oral Care Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Fluoride Free and SLS Free Toothpaste
- Contains 1 – 4oz tube of activated charcoal fluoride free whitening toothpaste.
- The activated charcoal works to polish and clean, whiten, remove surface stains and freshen breath.
- Hello is also vegan and never tested on animals (Leaping Bunny Certified and PETA recognized). Brush and greet freely.
- Fluoride free. Sls free. Judgmint free.
|Item Weight||4.8 Ounces|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||2.13 x 1.5 x 5.6 inches|
|Brand||Hello Oral Care|
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Artificial Sweeteners Free, Dye Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Sulfate Free, Gluten Free, Artificial Flavors Free, Paraben FreeFluoride Free, Artificial Sweeteners Free, Dye Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Sulfate Free, Gluten Free, Artificial Flavors Free.|
Say hello to naturally friendly activated charcoal fluoride free whitening toothpaste. This black paste is thoughtfully formulated with high quality ingredients like fresh mint, coconut oil, Xylitol and activated Charcoal (made from sustainable bamboo) that whiten naturally and gently without peroxide.
black paste = white teeth.
crazy concept, we know, but this black paste will whiten like nobody’s business. a friendly word of caution: black paste can get a little messy if you’re not mindful. please remember to spit responsibly, clean your sink, and make your parents proud.
Your swish comes true.
our black rinse (yup, it’s black) is thoughtfully formulated to make swishing fun and friendly. it rocks activated charcoal from sustainable bamboo that keeps breath next-level fresh.
Get black to nature.
our charcoal line features thoughtful ingredients like coconut oil, tea tree oil, and xylitol that are sure to rock your world.
and the delicious mint found in our pastes is grown in the Willamette Valley of Oregon for superior flavor. it’s truly mint to be.
5. Jason Powersmile Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
- One 3 oz. travel-size tube of Jason Powersmile Whitening Fluoride-Free Powerful Peppermint Toothpaste
- Helps brighten your smile and freshen your breath without the use of harsh abrasives and chemicals
- Crafted with a wholesome blend of gentle polishers and botanicals like calcium carbonate and baking soda
- A formula inspired by nature’s best, free from fluoride, gluten, saccharin, artificial sweeteners, parabens, propylene glycol and SLS
- Always cruelty-free, never tested on animals
|Item Weight||0.26 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||6.69 x 6.69 x 6 inches|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium bicarbonate|
Jason Powersmile Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste helps brighten your smile and freshen your breath without the use of harsh abrasives and chemicals. Our blend of gentle polishers and botanicals, including calcium carbonate and baking soda, whitens your teeth, while vanilla plus a dash of peppermint oil leave your mouth feeling clean. Infused with grapefruit seed and perilla seed extracts, this paste works to fight damaging sugar acids.
Our fluoride-free toothpaste is made with safe, gentler and effective ingredients and contains no gluten, saccharin, parabens, phthalates or harsh sulfates. It is also not tested on animals. The Jason brand believes in the power of nature’s ingredients to improve everyday wellness. We were pioneers of safer, wholesome personal care, and we continue to harness the earth’s bounty of botanicals and essentials for blends that refresh and restore. Wellness is our second nature, and it has been since 1959.
Born on Simple, Safe and Gentler Ingredients
Disenchanted by big companies and big chemicals, this group harnessed their free-spirited California mindset, leading them back to simple, safe, and gentler ingredients. And thus, a new brand centered around the restorative power of nature’s botanicals was born. It only felt natural that they call it JĀSÖN – an honorable word meaning “healer” in Greek. With each new generation, the JĀSÖN brand has remained committed to discovering even more ways to offer personal care solutions that are safe for families and friends.
6. Davids Natural Whitening Toothpaste
- Clean & Safe Ingredients / High Performance – Davids eliminated the fluoride and other common toothpaste chemicals and replaced with healthier high performance ingredients to create a premium toothpaste that effectively removes plaque, naturally whitens and freshens breath…your mouth will be amazed. Davids is Fluoride Free, Sulfate Free (no SLS), with No Artificial Flavors / Colors / Preservatives, and Vegan (no animal by-products). Birch xylitol is used to support your oral health.
- Safe & Gentle Whitening – micro polishing agents gently remove surface stains to safely whiten without causing the sensitivity normally found with peroxide or other bleaching agents. RDA (abrasive rating) of 101 to effectively remove plaque and surface stains while being enamel safe for daily brushing. Safe range per ADA (American Dental Association).
- Healthy Mouth – formulated to restore a healthy PH balance and support your mouth’s natural oral microbiome. Plaque is the main enemy of teeth and Davids is designed to aggressively stop plaque from forming and reduce existing plaque buildup, while leaving your mouth feeling minty fresh and exceptionally clean. Healthy mouth for a healthy you.
- Sustainably Focused – Davids ditched the plastic tube, and exchanged for a recyclable metal tube, which is better for the planet and looks better on your counter. A metal tube roller is include with each tube to roll the tube and squeeze out all the toothpaste…genius right!
- Made in USA – Uses 98% USA origin ingredients for the highest quality possible and to support US jobs. Higher grade ingredients translates into a higher performance toothpaste.
|Item Weight||0.33 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||7.25 x 1.38 x 1.38 inches|
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Dye Free, Microbeads Free, Artificial Fragrance Free, Propylparaben Free|
Davids is a premium natural toothpaste, made in California, with a focus on sustainability. Davids uses naturally sourced and naturally derived ingredients to safely & effectively whiten teeth, reduce plaque, and freshen breath. Naturally derived abrasives assist with the brushing action to help remove surface stains creating whiter teeth and a clean and healthy mouth. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is used to neutralize acids, promoting good oral hygiene.
Premium mint oil from various mint growing regions across the USA are blended together to create an amazing mint flavor and freshen breath. Davids was awarded the EWG VERIFIED certification by the Environmental working group for clean and safe ingredients. Davids went out of their way to use 98% USA Origin Ingredients to produce the highest quality toothpaste possible and to support USA jobs! Discover why so many people are switching to Davids!
Disclaimer: EWG VERIFIED certification was reissued to Davids toothpaste in 2020 by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) which is a 3rd party non-profit organization that rates ingredient safety based on their independent scientific reports and findings. Visit the EWG Skin Deep Database for more details.
7. Cleure Toothpaste Flavor Free with A Great Taste
- Includes 1 tube of Cleure Fluoride and Flavor Free Toothpaste with a great taste, 4 oz each.
- Formulated by a dentist for fresh breath without sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), triclosan, parabens, propylene glycol, dyes and gluten.
- Naturally whitens with dicalcium phosphate and helps dry mouth with xylitol and baking soda.
- Recommended by Skin Safe, dermatologists and dentists
- Cruelty free and made in the USA
|Item Weight||0.25 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||6.75 x 1.34 x 2.13 inches|
|Material Type Free||Fluoride Free, Artificial Sweeteners Free, Dye Free, Bisphenol A Free, Propylparaben Free|
Cleure Original Flavor Free Toothpaste with a great taste and is recommended by dermatologist and dentists across the US. It is free of common toothpaste irritants such as SLS, botanical extracts, essential oils, harsh abrasives, gluten, parabens, dyes, triclosan, artificial sweeteners and other useless ingredients. It is effective in brushing away plaque and leaving your mouth fresh and clean. Can be used by all ages. Cruelty free, made in the USA.
Why does toothpaste contain SLS?
You should know why SLS is in toothpaste before you decide to remove it from your toothpaste.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is used in toothpaste because of its ability to clean and stabilize other ingredients (for example, helping the oil based and water based ingredients to stay mixed).
Adding SLS to toothpaste has the following well-documented advantages:
- As an antimicrobial, SLS can kill bacteria.
- Plaque formation can be prevented with SLS (which causes cavities and gum disease).
- SLS is a foaming agent that helps loosen and remove food particles from the teeth and gums.
- To get fluoride between teeth where a toothbrush can’t reach, SLS and its foaming action help spread toothpaste into these hard-to-reach areas.
- Toothpaste containing SLS has a pleasant foaming sensation and does not leave a bad taste in the mouth (unlike some alternative detergents that could be used).
I have included SLS in some of my general best toothpaste recommendations.
Non-SLS Toothpaste: How Do I Use It?
When using a Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free toothpaste, there is no difference from using a regular one.
To get a sample of the paste, you’ll need to squeeze the tube. Use a wet and clean toothbrush to collect this.
Brush your teeth after rinsing your mouth out with water. Brush your teeth and gums in circular motions to remove plaque and tartar.
The excess product should not be swallowed and spilled in the wash basin.
Thoroughly swish water around your mouth to remove any food or debris.
Remember that even if a product does not contain SLS, it may still contain harmful chemicals like fluoride, which should be avoided if possible.
Why choose toothpaste without SLS?
SLS-containing toothpaste are associated with a number of known risks as well as a great deal of erroneous information.
Despite the advantages listed above, some evidence suggests that SLS-free toothpaste is just as effective as toothpaste that contains SLS.
What is it about SLS-free toothpaste that appeals to consumers? SLS should be avoided for a variety of reasons, including potential health risks, environmental harm, and the desire for more natural toothpaste.
SLS toothpaste should be avoided for health reasons such as:
Contact dermatitis can be caused by long-term use of products containing SLS, such as shampoos and conditioners. Even if it is used in high doses and for a long period of time (which isn’t always the case, as saliva helps to wash the paste away), this can still be dangerous.
Inflammation of the cells of the gums and soft tissues in the mouth is caused by the use of SLS products. Stomatitis and sores in the mouth can result from this. SLS has been shown to cause mucosal sloughing in clinical trials (when the top layer of your gum falls away from the surface).
People with a history of recurrent aphthous stomatitis may find that SLS aggravates their symptoms. If you have a habit of developing mouth ulcers, using toothpaste containing SLS can slow healing and increase pain. SLS-containing toothpaste should be avoided.
After using a toothpaste containing SLS, you may notice that your taste buds have been affected. “When consuming a citrus juice drink just after toothbrushing with an SLS dentifrice, SLS causes an astringent and unpleasant taste sensation,” the authors of this paper wrote.
You may want to avoid SLS if you want natural toothpaste. Synthetic or natural SLS can be made, and both methods have advantages and disadvantages.
Is Colgate SLS-free?
Crest, Colgate, AquaFresh, and Pepsodent contain SLS; Sensodyne is a major brand that doesn’t. Here is a list of some toothpaste that does not contain SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate): Natural Toothpaste Kids Fluoride.
Which Sensodyne toothpaste does not contain SLS?
The following toothpastes do not contain SLS: Sensodyne Extra Whitening. Sensodyne Full Protection. Sensodyne Fresh Mint.
Can you be allergic to sodium lauryl sulfate?
What are the symptoms of an SLS allergy/sensitivity? The properties of SLS can cause already sensitive or dry skin to itch, flake, or crack more dramatically. Oral health care products that contain SLS are likely to cause cracking at the corners of the mouth and canker sores.
So, in all honestly, if price, taste and quality are of little concern to you, then a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulphate may not be the product for you. If you can afford to spend a few extra dollars per tube on premium brands and sensorial cosmetics, then you should go with a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulphate. Toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulphate is the perfect companion to any facial or body care routine because they gently cleanse your skin without drying it out.
Leave a Reply