Vitamin D is one of the most common nutrients used by Americans, yet experts don’t agree on how much you should take and whether it’s safe. That’s why ConsumerLab.com, a leading provider of consumer information and product reviews, tested more than 200 vitamin D supplements for this report. In addition to finding out which products made their exclusive list of Top Picks and Best Buys, our unique report uncovered many surprises about the vitamin D category.
Consumer Lab Vitamin D Reviews
1. Twinlab Mega D3 Dots Tangerine
- EXTRA STRONG PURE VITAMIN D: Want to get a strong boost of sunshine vitamin? Try our orange-flavored Mega D3 Dots that provide maximum D3 vitamin 5000IU. When taken under the tongue, sublingual vit D is absorbed faster than other vitamin D supplements
- IMMUNITY VITAMINS FOR ADULTS: Staying indoors causes low D vitamin levels, that’s why getting enough vit D3 is so essential. Studies suggest that taking vitamin D 5000 IU may help enhance our immune defense and protect our bones*
- BEST PAIRED WITH A CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT: Make your bones stronger than ever with a daily dose of Twinlab D3 Dots.* Cholecalciferol Vitamin D3 is known to help our body absorb calcium better, crucial to the maintenance of bone health and stronger teeth.* Your physician may advise you to add Vitamin K2
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT FOR OVERALL WELLNESS: Vitamin D 3 works behind the scenes in numerous ways. It promotes healthy muscle function, natural energy, heart health, and joint health.* The best part – all you need is just one dot a day
- PROVEN QUALITY, TRADITION AND INNOVATION: Twinlab D3 dots is a proven bone health and immunity support supplement, trusted by 2 generations and upgraded with the latest scientific advances that make it indispensable. It delivers premium high dose vitamin D, free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives, manufactured in a GMP certified facility and 3rd party lab tested
|Primary Supplement Type||Vitamin-d|
|Specific Uses For Product||Bones,Heart Health,Immune Support,Teeth,Energy,Muscle|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Vitamin D is important in immune system support
- You get Vitamin D through food and sunlight exposure, but supplementing Vitamin D can help ensure you’re getting enough.
- Vitamin D helps the body absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus
- Both are critical for building bone.
- Vitamin D may play an important role in regulating mood.
Pure and Potent
- Contains 5000 IU of pure Vitamin D3.
2. Nature’s Lab Vitamin D3 5000
- A majority of the population, is deficient in Vitamin D due to environmental impacts and the lack of exposure to direct sunlight.* Supplementing with Nature’s Lab Vitamin D3 is a convenient way to increase your daily intake of this important nutrient.*
- Contains 5,000 IU (125 mcg) Vitamin D3 as cholecalciferol, helps support bone, teeth, muscle and immune system health, promotes calcium absorption*
- Vitamin D plays a role in activating the immune system’s T-cells, which are responsible for identifying and defending the body against harmful organisms, to promote immune system health.*
- Nature’s Lab stands behind its products 100% with a no questions asked satisfaction guarantee.
- With Love From Nevada! Manufactured to the highest quality standards in a cGMP Certified Facility. Satisfaction guaranteed!
|Primary Supplement Type||Vitamin-d|
|Specific Uses For Product||Immune System Health|
|Special Ingredients||Immune Health|
Vitamin D3 is an essential nutrient created in the body by converting naturally present cholesterol via sunshine. A majority of the population, however, is deficient inadequate Vitamin D levels due to environmental impacts and the lack of exposure to direct sunlight. Supplementing with Nature’s Lab Vitamin D3 is a convenient way to increase your daily intake of this important nutrient.
Vitamin D refers to a group of fat-soluble secosteroids that play a role in increasing intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, and other essential minerals and nutrients. Unlike most other vitamins, the body can make its own vitamin D when the skin is exposed to sunlight. This is why vitamin D3 is often referred to as “the sunshine vitamin.” Vitamin D3 is the most active form of vitamin D and helps support calcium levels in the blood and bones and also supports the immune system.* However, most individuals do not get enough vitamin D3 from sunlight, and vitamin D is hard to find in plentiful amounts from food sources.
Vitamin D3 helps the body absorb the minerals calcium and phosphorus from foods, both of which may be important for developing the structure and strength of bones and teeth.* Additionally, vitamin D3 may help regulate neuromuscular function and protein synthesis, both of which may support muscle function.
Nature’s Lab. Superior Ingredients. Superior Products.
At Nature’s Lab, we take pride in providing high-quality supplements you can depend on. We work hard to keep the trust and loyalty of our customers by dedicating ourselves to consistency and science at every stage – from initial research all the way to your doorstep.
Nature’s Lab only sells products that we trust and use. With our dedication to wellness in mind, Nature’s Lab makes a promise to provide quality dietary supplements for years to come. In the face of socio-economic changes such as fast-paced lifestyles, soil depletion, non-organic food sourcing, and more, diet alone can be an insufficient solution. Our supplements are created to help make wellness goals attainable for our customers for generations to come.
USP GMP AUDITED
The United States Pharmacopeia GMP certificate recognizes that Nature’s Lab adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices quality systems to ensure that our manufacturing processes and finished goods meet the quality standards our customers have come to expect.
MANUFACTURED IN THE USA WITH IMPORTED AND US INGREDIENTS
Nature’s Lab manufactures supplements in our state-of-the-art in-house facility and lab located in Las Vegas, Nevada using U.S. and world-sourced ingredients. We don’t compromise on people, products, or purity. Neither should you when shopping for supplements!
MADE WITH LOVE FROM NEVADA
Nature’s Lab dietary supplements are formulated and manufactured with love from Nevada. We take pride in crafting high-quality supplements you can depend on at our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Las Vegas. From research and formulations to lab testing and production, we work hard to earn and keep our customers’ trust. We utilize quality ingredients backed by the latest science, exceptional lab testing, sustainable production practices, and clean labels to bring you supplements built on trust, value, and efficacy.
We utilize natural, safe, and scientifically-researched ingredients. Our formulas are free from harmful fillers, artificial colors and flavorings, and synthetics containing alcohols, strong detergents, and dangerous chemicals.
We are committed to clean labeling practices using only safe and necessary ingredients, without added fillers or fluff.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
Our Research & Development team is committed to bringing you the most effective supplements based on leading, reliable scientific research.
Our in-house lab conducts testing on purity, potency, stability, identity, and more to ensure safe, clean, and efficacious products free of harmful parabens, toxins and other infiltrates. Testing supported by USP Certificate QSGMP-DSVP-0019 Effective 09/06/2019.
3. NatureWise Vitamin D3 5000iu
- most active form: NatureWise Vitamin D3 in certified organic olive oil helps to support teeth and bone health, provide immune support, and promote healthy muscle function
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- Essential Vitamin: Our formula delivers the same biologically active form of vitamin D produced by the body as a result of sun exposure, without exposure to sun rays
- Get your daily dose: The Vitamin D Council recommends 5,000 IU Vitamin D daily for adults to achieve and maintain optimal levels. Supports the body’s ability to maintain good bone health
- Highest potency: Our Vitamin D 5000 IU softgels are easy to swallow. Some research indicates that vitamin D3 in liquid softgel form is more bioavailable than powdered or tablet forms. No artificial additives
|Primary Supplement Type||Vitamin-d|
|Specific Uses For Product||Immune Support|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
NatureWise Vitamin D3 5000IU is an effective way to get your daily dose of vitamin D and help support a healthy immune system. Our formula delivers the same biologically active form of vitamin D produced by the body as a result of sun exposure, without exposure to harmful UV rays. NatureWise Vitamin D3 is tested and verified by third party labs for quality and purity.
Each softgel contains 1000 IU of vitamin D3 derived from sunflower seed oil and manufactured in a facility that does not process any animal products or byproducts. NatureWise Vitamin D3 5000IU is made with pure plant sourced, gluten free, non-GMO verified and vegetarian friendly, with no added artificial colors or preservatives delivering the highest potency per serving in its class.
Why It’s an Essential Vitamin
Vitamin D can be found in cells throughout the entire body. It is necessary for calcium and phosphorus absorption to build and maintain strong bones and teeth, provide immune system support, and for healthy muscle function.
Can’t You Get Vitamin D From the Sun?
Often referred to as the “sunshine vitamin,” vitamin D3 is synthesized when bare skin is exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) light. However, studies show that most people do not get the recommended amount from sunlight alone. Factors that can inhibit vitamin D3 production include the time of day sun exposure occurs, season, latitude, skin color, age, clothing, and sunscreen use. In fact, according to Mayo Clinic, 25% to 50% or more of the general population may be vitamin D deficient. NatureWise Vitamin D3 delivers the same biologically active form of vitamin D produced in the body as a result of direct sunlight — without the risk of unprotected UVB exposure.
Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency
Bone pain and brittleness, muscle weakness, and tiredness can all indicate a deficiency in vitamin D. People who may be at higher risk for deficiency include those who spend a lot of time indoors, have darker skin pigmentation, are elderly, or are overweight.
Our Vitamin D3 is Third Party Tested for Quality, Purity, and Potency
NatureWise Vitamin D3 contains 100% natural, USP grade, non-GMO, certified organic olive oil. Our vitamin D3 is made following strict GMP standards. We utilize specialized ISO 17025 third party laboratories to test for physical, chemical, and microbial contamination. potency, and safety. No artificial additives.
4. Premier Research Labs D3 Serum
- 5,000 IU vitamin D3 per dose
- Nature-sourced vitamin D3 (not synthetic) in a fat-soluble base for better absorption
- No artificial colors or flavors, no added magnesium stearate
- Supports bone growth and mineralization, absorption of calcium
- Supports cardiovascular and immune system health
|Brand||Premier Research Labs|
|Item Weight||0.09 Pounds|
|Material Type Free||Artificial Color Free|
|Recommended Uses For Product||Provides Vitamins|
Do you think about vitamin D when you’re catching up on the sun’s rays outside? New, exciting research shows that this little powerhouse vitamin has many newly discovered functions. Of course, maintaining healthy vitamin D levels is essential throughout all stages of your life. But did you know that vitamin D receptors are found in countless tissues throughout the entire body? That can only mean that vitamin D has a much greater impact on the body’s health than we previously thought.
We already knew that vitamin D was very important in helping to maintain healthy bones, bone growth, bone mineralization, and absorption of calcium. Vitamin D also supports cardiovascular system health. But now, eye-opening research shows that our immune cells have vitamin D receptors. What? Immune cells with vitamin D receptors? Yes! This means that getting enough vitamin D may be critically important to support our immune system health by helping to activate immune cells.
The body’s need for adequate vitamin D has gathered even more attention lately. Although direct sunlight exposure to the skin initiates an excellent source of vitamin D, many people simply can’t achieve the vitamin D levels they need for their best health. Maybe they simply don’t receive enough sunlight or it’s tough for them to convert vitamin D to the active form. Either way, taking a high-quality vitamin D supplement makes good sense for supporting optimal health.
First, the preferred form of vitamin D is D3 (not vitamin D2) because it is better metabolized by the body. Second, look for a natural source of vitamin D3 (not synthetic) with at least 5,000 IU per dose. Avoid products with undesirable chemical tagalongs such as magnesium stearate (a questionable excipient) or other chemical no-no’s.
5. Carlson Labs Vitamin A and D
- THE LATEST SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH: Our development team stays up-to-date with the latest scientific research. With their findings, we continually introduce innovative new products and update existing formulas.
- THE FINEST RAW INGREDIENTS: Carlson proudly goes above and beyond required FDA testing regulations to ensure our customers receive only the highest quality nutritional supplements.
- THE STRICTEST MANUFACTURING TECHNIQUES: To protect the effectiveness of the nutrients found in our products, Carlson employs manufacturing techniques that avoid the use of excessive heat, moisture, and solvents to protect nutrient content.
|Primary Supplement Type||Vitamin A|
|Specific Uses For Product||Healthy Heart, Cardiovascular Health, Antioxidant|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
Supports a healthy heart • Provides 100 IU of all-natural vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant • Natural-source vitamin E is more active in our bodies than synthetic vitamin E • Potency and quality guaranteed Since 1965, Carlson has provided one of the most complete lines of high-quality, all-natural vitamin E. Natural-source vitamin E is more active in our bodies than synthetic vitamin E. Natural vitamin E plays an important role in cardiovascular health and is recognized as one of the best antioxidants. E-Gems provide 100 IU of all-natural vitamin E per soft gel.
Small changes in the product size & weight lead to lower carbon emissions.
We created Compact by Design to identify products that, while they may not always look very different, have a more efficient design. With the removal of excess air and water, products require less packaging and become more efficient to ship. At scale, these small differences in product size and weight lead to significant carbon emission reductions.
What to Look for When Buying a Consumer Lab Vitamin D
It’s a good idea to get your vitamin D levels checked before you decide on a supplement. The only way to discover if your levels are deficient, insufficient, sufficient, or ideal is to get a blood test.
A doctor can order blood tests and help you figure out what dosage is right for you.
If you’re significantly deficient in vitamin D, your doctor may prescribe high-dosage supplements or injections for a certain length of time, followed by a daily maintenance dose.
Other things to think about while buying vitamin D supplements are:
Added sugars, artificial flavorings, and colors are included in many items, particularly beverages, gummies, and chewable.
Vitamin D in its purest form.
Ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) are the two types of vitamin D supplements (vitamin D3). While both forms can effectively raise vitamin D levels, vitamin D3 can do so more effectively and for a longer period of time (5Trusted Source).
Look for goods that have undergone extensive testing for purity, quality, and accuracy, preferably by a third-party agency such as the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) or ConsumerLab.
To suit your needs, choose a product that has enough amount of vitamin D. Keep in mind that the amount of vitamin D you should take depends on your age and whether you want to maintain your vitamin D levels or are deficient (4Trusted Source).
Don’t let Vitamin D deficiency keep you in your chair. Get up, power through, and take control of your health. If you are suffering from Vitamin D deficiency and want to feel better, then you need to get outside and into the sunlight as much as possible. Our bodies need sun exposure in order to produce sufficient amounts of vitamin D. Alternatively, if you simply prefer not to get too much sun exposure, then consider taking a supplement that contains vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Consumer Lab’s latest report gives us some idea of the most effective vitamin D supplements available today—all at a reasonable price, too.
Leave a Reply